It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas atop Vancouver’s Grouse Mountain. The wet weather the past few days has helped transform the mountain into a winter wonderland. It’s a great time to dust off the old ski jacket, mittens and snow boots because like it or not – winter is here!
This weekend marks the start of Grouse Mountain’s Peak of Christmas, which brings Santa Claus, reindeer, and outdoor skating pond and more. One highlight of the event is the dreamy Light Walk feature that is coming back for a second year to guide you on a magical adventure through the snow-covered trees.
In 2016, the popular Light Walk will be bigger than before with new light installations including a 23 ft. deer, light walls, and hoop fixtures. It’s brought to you by the same people who are behind the huge Enchantment Christmas Maze and Market, so you know it’s going to be good. The trail is free to access and included in the price of your lift ticket.
Make sure to bring a camera, because the Grouse Mountain Light Walk makes for some pretty pictures. Your Instagram account will thank you! But be prepared for chilly weather and walking on snow, so it’s best to avoid high heels or cloth shoes.
It’s recommended that you bring snowshoes or snow cleats (YakTrax or Microspikes are great options, which can be purchased at most outdoor stores). You can still walk through the trails with normal running shoes, but you may find yourself sliding around.
The walk takes you around Blue Grouse Lake where stunning light installations bring radiance to the winter night. Then, you’ll finish off the walk close to the chalet, where a nice warm cup of cocoa will be waiting!
Aside from the Light Walk, there are plenty of other things to do during The Peak of Christmas at Grouse Mountain including:
- Skiing and riding (select runs will officially open for the season this Saturday, November 25!)
- Santa’s workshop (weekdays: 12pm to 8pm; weekends: 11am-8pm; Dec. 24: 12pm-4pm) Meet Santa in person to share those holiday wishes.
- Sliding Zone (weekdays: 12pm-8pm; weekends: 10am-8pm; Dec. 17-Jan 2: 10am-10pm) Get your snow carpet rental* and go for a slide!
- Santa’s Reindeer (9am-10pm) Meet Santa’s reindeer in the Reindeer Habitat next to Santa’s Workshop.
- Christmas Favourites (9:30am-9:00pm) Watch fun family Christmas movies on the big screen in the Theatre in the Sky.
- Skate Under the Stars (9am-10pm) Enjoy the crisp mountain air as you glide atop a magical 8,000 square foot skating pond.
A lift ticket up Grouse Mountain costs around $ 45 for Adults (19-64), $ 41 for Seniors (65+), and $ 26 for Youth (13-18). Alternatively, the Family Rate for Peak of Christmas festivities includes admission for 2 adults and 2 children/youth (under 18) for $ 89.95.
To learn more about The Peak of Christmas and the Grouse Mountain Light Walk, check out the Grouse Mountain website.